05 December 2011

Six Things To Do For Your Health

A couple of weeks ago I had my physical exam.  It was mainly for health insurance purposes.  It has been three years since I have seen my doctor and because there are some things I want to discuss with him, I decided to take advantage of that visit and find answers to the things that keep me worried.

He ordered lab tests to check my blood, urine, vit. D, thyroid hormones, kidney and liver function.  When the results came out, I learned that I am vitamin D deficient so he put me on a vitamin D supplement.  That did not come as a surprise since I really do not want to be out in the sun because of my overactive melanin (hello freckles!!).

This PE made me realize that we should be taking care of our health seriously.  And so, I thought of listing down important measures we must take to keep us healthy.

1.  Get outside everyday or as much as you can.
Vitamin D is vital for our bones' health and we can get it naturally from sunlight.  Exposing our skin, without sun screen, to the sun for at least 15 minutes a day coupled with eating foods that contain vitamin D should be enough to get our daily dose of the vitamin. 

2.  Drink plenty of water.
Drinking water helps our kidneys to function well and eliminate toxins from our body.  It also keeps our skin hydrated to make it glow naturally.  One half of your body weight in ounces is a great place to start.  There is even an app that reminds you to drink water so if you are a smart phone owner, you can install this app for free.

3.  Keep moving.
Doing a 30-60 minute low impact exercise like walking and yoga everyday can get your circulation to move nutrients in and toxins out.

4.  Take at least 100 deep breaths a day.
Deep breathing massages your heart, calms your nervous system, and increases your energy.

5.  Make healthy eating choices.
Eat food but not too much.  Munch on food, mostly plants.  Remember to eat in a calm, relaxed atmosphere.  Enjoy your meal and don't forget to chew.  Do not be in a hurry.  Chew your food for 20 seconds before taking another bite.

6.  Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
If you do not get enough sleep, your alertness, productivity, creativity, and general health are all affected. 

I hope this list will help you start a regimen that would be beneficial to you health.

2 comments:

  1. oh the first tip is hard because the sun shines very seldom on winter time here in Sweden. Thanks for sharing this tip sis. Visiting from BC Bloggers anyway.

    iWander

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard indeed. We have long winter from where we live and I guess that explains why I'm vit. D deficient :( Thanks for checking out my blog :)

    ReplyDelete